Thursday, December 14, 2017

Farewell, Ethan!


On Friday morning we say goodbye to someone who is one of everybody's favorites, whether you have known him for a long time or short one: Ethan, or the Professor, as some of us affectionately think of him. Many of us have had the pleasure of seeing this normally quiet soul light up whenever the conversation intersects with any of his varied interests (especially history!), and we have been invariably rewarded with wide ranging discussions that are as fun as they are illuminating. His assertion that he was very worried about nationalism when he was nine managed to be simultaneously hilarious, slyly ironic, and completely serious: quintessential Ethan. But we will let the man speak for himself:

"I will always appreciate having had the opportunity to work with all of you (and many others) over the seven semesters. While I could, obviously, wax nostalgic regarding the well-known pleasures of checking rooms and scanning keys, I think it's more important to say that I will miss being part of a happy and supportive community like the one we have here at the library. During my first few months of college, my shifts here were one of the few times when I felt as if people knew my name and cared about my everyday life. I'll always be grateful for that and -- absorption in my homework notwithstanding -- I have generally tried to be similarly, supportive, friendly and open while working with others ever since. Have I always been that way? Probably not. But, if I had any advice, it would be (and, I am aware this echoes a long-standing refrain among graduating PSAs) to take the time to talk and laugh with your coworkers; I think it does a tremendous amount of good. In the immediate future, I plan on taking my commitment to academic rigor and passable friendliness to the next level by becoming a high school teacher."

Ethan will soon begin serving as a student teacher in order to complete his degree and embark on a career teaching history to high schoolers. He has been with us for a while, and it will be hard to say goodbye, but we can take comfort in the knowledge that there are generations of high school students to come who will be lucky enough to have Mr. Worthington as their teacher. Best of luck Ethan!

No comments: